“Whether work is causing the health issue or aggravating it, employers have a legal responsibility to help their employees. Work-related mental health issues must to be assessed to measure the levels of risk to staff. Where a risk is identified, steps must be taken to remove it or reduce it as far as reasonably practicable.” (HSE website)
Having a mental health strategy within the workplace means that employers not only meet legal requirements, but in providing support for staff there are other benefits such as less absenteeism, less presenteeism, reduced staff turnover, improved focus, and better working relationships.
Within the workplace it is important to have a health and wellbeing programme that works for the individual organisation. At Essential Self, we understand this and promote psychological wellbeing and mental health through a variety of ways:
Sometimes employees need a bit of one-to-one time and individual support. Essential Self provides this in the form of mental health coaching to help with issues such as anxiety and depression, and also through stress management. Both these types of intervention are time limited to 6 sessions and focus on helping the individual to understand the nature of their difficulties with the intent of helping them to move forwards again.
Essential Self can provide assistance for employees through weekly classes which teach groups about different aspects of mental health. During these hour-long sessions, individuals learn about specific conditions and different psychological tools with the aim of creating a more in-depth understanding. Sessions can focus on a specific condition e.g. anxiety management, anger management, stress management. In addition, classes can be arranged to teach specific helping approaches such as mindfulness, cognitive behavioural techniques and ACTraining (see below).
Mental Health Workshops:
We provide 2-hour workshops in the workplace which centre around a variety of themes:
– Mindfulness: This provides an introduction to mindfulness and shows employees how to apply some of the exercises and techniques to their lives. The aim is to improve mental wellbeing by promoting skills such as focus, distancing from thoughts, and awareness of emotions.
– Stress Management: This is a group of three workshops. They can either be done as stand-alone single sessions or all three can be done in sequence. They include Resilience, Stress Release and Positive Attitude.
– Maximise Your Mental Health: This workshop promotes mental wellbeing through helping people to understand the different issues they might be facing such as low mood, anxiety and stress. It then teaches employees different strategies and tools which can be applied to improve these issues and so boost mental health.
– Mental Health Awareness: This focuses on increasing awareness of issues experienced within mental illness, looking at issues such as stigma and how to get help.
– Communication: With the aim of minimising difficult interactions and reducing stress within the workplace, this workshop takes a look at interpersonal dynamics, personal agendas, listening, and assertiveness.
– Managing Change: Within this workshop we look at how changes in the workplace might be managed to support mental health. It looks at communication, implementation and elements of anxiety management.
All of these workshops help individuals to identify key issues and provide them with the strategies and tools needed to enhance their wellbeing at work.
For Leaders & Managers:
Using the Stevenson Farmer 2017 report ‘Thriving at Work’ as a framework for providing best practice, Essential Self provides a consultation service for wellbeing in the workplace. We offer organisations an assessment of their existing mental health strategies with a view to providing further advice, tools and the knowledge on how to improve mental health at work. This is for organisations at the start of their journey, or for those looking to enhance existing mental health strategies within their organisation.
Promoting Mental Health in the Workplace:
This is a full day workshop which aims to help managers and leaders promote mental health within their organisation. The workshop covers areas such as stigma, awareness, providing support, communication and workplace culture.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (said as one word ‘ACT’) is an evidence-based psychological intervention that uses acceptance and mindfulness techniques alongside behaviour change strategies. When applied to workplace settings, ACT is reframed as ACTraining to indicate the interventions are designed for general staff groups rather than people requiring therapy. It aims to improve performance and reduce stress by supporting the development of psychological flexibility. This psychological flexibility helps people to function more effectively, even while experiencing undesirable thoughts, feelings and physiological sensations. ACTraining is uniquely suited to help people perform in their jobs, particularly because for managers and leaders there are certain psychological states that underpin high performance. ACTraining can help improve: task focus, goal clarity, intrinsic motivation, behavioural flexibility and experiential avoidance.
Essential Self can offer organisations ACTraining through one-off workshops, group teaching sessions or in a one-to-one context.
Prices are available on enquiry and after discussing individual need. If you need some mental health support which isn’t described above, then we can provide bespoke options which might be a better fit for your workplace. All initial telephone consultation is free so why not call Essential Self to discuss your needs?